A helpful research of the International Accounting Standards Board about the discount rates used in IFRS, and particularly under:
- IFRS 13 Fair Value Measurement,
- IAS 36 Impairment of Assets,
- IAS 37 Provisions, Contingent Liabilities and Contingent Assets,
- IAS 19 Employee Benefits.
Some key points:
- According to the report some standards (e.g. IAS 19, IAS 37) are not quite clear about the value basis, inputs and techniques so judgement and interpretation is required. (Probably we will see further clarifications, education materials, amendments on these topics)
- The report is useful to confirm and align some discussion topics with what appraisers usually do.
- The requirement for the use of a pre-tax discount rate in impairment tests (IAS 36) probably will be removed, as previously discussed also in another Staff Paper of the Board.